Thursday, July 18, 2013

Why Is It So Darn Hot?!

Things I learned this week:  Just because it's cheap, gluten-free, and nearby, doesn't mean it's good. Buyer's remorse every time.  So why am I a glutton for punishment?  It's too damn hot to go more than two blocks around here.  I purposely wore light-colored, loose clothes, walked only on the side of the street where there was shade, and still felt like I was suffocating.  I'll bear the frigid cold a/c for another 2 hours til it's time to go home, just as long as I'm not a sweaty mess when I get there.


I tossed and turned quite a bit last night, like I did this whole week.   Not easy to get a comfortable night's sleep in a small Brooklyn apartment with little ventilation.  We have a good a/c in our bedroom, but it's not strong enough to cool the whole place.  So anytime any hot air from the rest of the apartment creeps in (mostly because our cats hate closed doors), it get very stuffy.


I woke up an hour before my alarm because I dreamed that I missed it.  Man, I hate when that happens.


I was able to get back to sleep briefly but the damage had already been done; I knew I'd need some extra strong coffee to get through at least half the day.  It's not even 4pm, and I'm already getting the gluten-free taco itis. Oy. 



On an uplifting note, our editor sent us two versions of the rough cut of Velma.  That shot my excitement and energy level up 15-fold.  



And later tonight, my hubby and I got passes to a live taping of Mike Tyson's one-man show, Undisputed Truth, directed by Spike Lee.  I'm not big on getting photos with celebrities but I sure as hell won't turn down the chance to take a pic with Iron Mike if the opportunity presents itself.  I mean, to be that up close and personal with the face tattoo, who would pass up that chance?  But for some really odd reason, I have this image of him coming up to me all sweaty (like straight-from-a-fight sweaty), and he'd smell like corn chips, bbq ribs and Cristal.  



Yes, I know I have a very vivid and crazy imagination, but I think the 97 degree heat has fried my brain more than usual.  I'm definitely gonna need to take it easy this weekend.



It hasn't even been summer for a full 30 days, but it feels like it'll be over as soon as I really get to enjoy it.

The good thing about it still being summer, is the traveling Greg and I will be doing, and hopefully that'll include a couple of trips to the beach.

Also, I'll be completing the intro/theme song for Velma, launching episode 1, prepping for episode 2, and getting new headshots in a couple of weeks.

I figured out a way to not stress during my career journey:  I eliminated my self-imposed deadlines, and am doing everything I've wanted to accomplish and achieve at an even pace.  I feel more focused, disciplined, and clear-headed.  Nothing rushed, nothing half-assed or mediocre.  I'm keeping everything high- and professional-quality.  And if that means taking more time to get things right and/or at top form, then so be it.  I know the end result is gonna be spectacular, and definitely something I can be proud of, e.g., my music, Velma, my package/portfolio, etc.  I'm going at this full force, and there is no room for crap or half-assedness.



Hm, I think my coffee just kicked in...

What's going on now & What's coming up:
  • Rough cut of Velma
  • Fine tuning the Velma intro and theme song
  • Velma trailers
  • New headshots by Lauren Toub of LTShots Photography
  • Upcoming performances with Fighting Laughter Warrior at Dark Horse and Legion Bar
  • Launch of Why I Love Brooklyn radio podcast with my husband Gregory Malcolm


No comments:

Post a Comment